Friday, May 2, 2008

Why Strawberries for Breakfast?

Sentimental reasons...very. Sentiment drives this blog, I am sure!

When my maternal grandparents married in Mississippi in 1906, a friend gave them the use of their house (I think in New Orleans) for a brief honeymoon sojourn. My grandmother said that on her first married morning a man was passing by the house calling out that he had strawberries for sale. Right away my besotted grandfather (who would become Papa to me 44 years later) dashed to the street to make his purchase. And the tenderest scene of all...he fed them to his bride one by one.

Loved that story and I do tend to cling to stories the way others hold on to whatever it is they store up as mind-treasures. So my first married morning when Winston insisted on calling room service, strawberries were my only request...

That first year I kept a journal in a blank bound book and had it embossed, "Strawberries for Breakfast" which I gave to him on our first anniversary.

To me, that title sums up the fact that life's simple joys are the most precious, and loving acts are worthy of remembrance for generations to come. So pardon me while I just remember on and on...

4 comments:

Missy said...

Yea Mimi! Welcome to the Blogosphere!!

We love you!!

Blogahon said...

Don't let the blog die...keep it up. We'll link you up on our blog and introduce you to the blogosphere...

Anonymous said...

that is the most beautiful first anniversary gift I have ever heard of. wow.

I'm visiting you because you are listed on Missy's page. Just in case you were wondering why a complete stranger is posting to you.

Lisa Smith said...

That makes tears spring to my eyes...those are the types of traditions I want to pass down to my kids...simple treasures retold with love, experienced with joy.